Taken from the VSAC website
WHERE TO LOOK FOR COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS
To make the most of your search, start 9 to 12 months before the start of the academic year for which you need funds. Start by looking for local scholarships—and branch out as time allows.
You can find college scholarship information through:
- VSAC’s scholarship booklet: This booklet contains information on more than 140 scholarships available to Vermont residents—and is updated each fall. The VSAC scholarship booklet contains both VSAC-assisted scholarships and scholarships administered directly by the group that sponsors the scholarship.
- With VSAC-assisted scholarships, you apply through VSAC using a single application.
- With group-administered scholarships, you follow the instructions in the booklet and apply to the scholarship sponsor group. Each of these scholarships has a separate application process.
To access the VSAC scholarship booklet for the 2018–2019 academic year:
- Local sources: Talk to your high school guidance counselor, local librarian, local business owners and club representatives, and town officials. Be sure to speak with your parents about organizations or clubs they belong to or ask if their employer sponsors a scholarship.
- Your college or university: Look on the college’s website or call the admissions office to ask about possible scholarships.
- Veteran and military organizations: Both the federal government and nonprofit organizations offer money for college to veterans, future military personnel, active duty personnel, or those related to veterans or active duty personnel. To learn more, visit StudentAid.ed.gov and search for “military scholarships.”
- On the web:
- Bigfuture® by The College Board: Find scholarships, other financial aid, and internships—from more than 2,200 programs, totaling nearly $6 billion.
- Fastweb®: Find scholarships that match your strengths, interests, and skills—from more than 1.5 million scholarships, totaling $3.4 billion.
- CollegeNet®: Search this $1.6 billion scholarship database by keyword or a personal profile match.
- Cappex®: Fill out a free profile to discover which scholarships match you best.